It is governed by the Jedi High Council and led by the Grand Master. Jedi Order activities are officially outside the Senate's jurisdiction; unofficially, the Jedi council prefers to be in harmony with the senate's wishes, and avoid a threat to their independence from senate action.
The Jedi have been the noble peacekeepers and diplomats for the Galactic Republic for 22,000 years. While law-abiding citizens look to the Jedi with respect and inspiration, the Galactic Republic’s enemies regard the Jedi with suspicion, fear and anger.
The success of the Sith Empire's military campaign during the Great War saw the deaths of thousands of Jedi. During the Sacking of Coruscant, six Jedi Masters of the Jedi High Council were killed, and in the time since, the Sith have started their own recruitment campaign to seek out Force-sensitive children around the galaxy.
These catastrophes have damaged the Galactic Republic's faith in its legendary protectors, but they are far from defeated. Overwhelmed but fearless, the Jedi have returned to their ancient homeworld of Tython, recommitting to their timeless principles and looking to the future, hoping to restore balance to the Force and peace and justice to the galaxy.
Despite their intentions, the Jedi Order's search for serenity on Tython has been strained. Among the ancient Tythonian ruins, mysterious Force energies abound, and the legacy of a long forgotten darkness has re-emerged. With the arrival of a Twi’lek pilgrim clan determined to settle on Tython in violation of Galactic Republic law, delicate and dangerous trials have arisen for Padawans in training and for the order itself.
- Jedi Initiate: Jedi Initiate is a rank granted to Force-sensitive children (between the ages of four and eight) who have been accepted into the Jedi Order as trainees, they underwent their training in the Force, particularly at the Coruscant Jedi Temple; they would remain under the tutelage of a Jedi instructor; until they are selected or assigned to a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master as there apprentice(s).
- Padawan: Padawan is a rank granted to Jedi Initiates who have passed the Jedi Initiate Trials and been selected or assigned to a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master as there apprentice(s), at the age of eight or in their early teenage years, they would remain under the tutelage of there mentor(s); until the Jedi High Council believes they are ready for the Jedi Trials.
- Jedi Knight: Jedi Knight is a rank granted to Padawans who have passed the Jedi Trials (the Trial of Skill, the Trial of Courage, the Trial of the Flesh, the Trial of the Spirit and the Trial of Insight) becoming full members of the Jedi Order; it is the second highest rank in the Jedi Order.
- Jedi Master: Jedi Master is a rank granted to a few Jedi Knights, depending on their experience, intelligence, wisdom, mastery of the Force, skills in lightsaber combat or if they have successfully trained one Padawan; it is the highest rank in the Jedi Order.
Jedi Military ranks
Although the Jedi Order is not a military organization, in times of need it's members became part of the Republic Army; only if it is absolutely necessary for the Jedi to get involve into a war.
- Jedi: Jedi is a title that is granted to individuals (Jedi youngling, Padawan, Jedi Knight and Jedi Master alike) who are members of the Jedi Order.
- Grand Master: Grand Master is a title that is granted to a Jedi Master who is the elected leader of the Jedi Order and head of the Jedi High Council, it is usually granted to the strongest, wisest and most powerful member of the Jedi Order, it is the highest title in the Jedi Order; Satele Shan is particularly a notable Grand Master.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic