- "A Powertech wears heavy armor like a second skin and never balks at field-testing new technology if it means greater protection and upgraded safeguards. The best in shielding, defensive tactics and high-powered flamethrowers combine to make the Powertech an impenetrable one-man blockade, getting up close and personal to enemies. All Powertechs learn to use personal shield generators and can opt to acquire the skills of a Pyrotech, using flamethrower attacks and other abilities that do damage at short range and prevent an enemy from fleeing; apply Shield Tech, using a variety of devices to survive any attack and draw enemy fire; and access Advanced Prototypes including fiery missiles and darts to reduce an enemy’s survivability and regenerative capacity."
- ―In-game Codex (Game Rules)
It is the "tanking" AC for Bounty Hunters, and focuses heavily on the use of Gadgets, Energy Shields, and the Flamethrower. Although Powertech has a lot of ranged abilities, all 3 Powertech specs require Melee range to achieve maximum potential.
A Powertech wears heavy plating body armor like a second skin and never balks at taking on the newest prototype technology if it means greater protection and upgraded safeguards. The best in armor shielding, smart defensive tactics and high-powered flamethrowers combine to make the Powertech an impenetrable one-man blockade, from which few enemies escape unscathed. In a group, Powertechs are vital, so if you are a healer class, keep your Powertech healthy.
Both Shield Tech and Advanced Prototype become very "heat efficient" as you gain levels/talents, allowing you to deal a lot of damage without a risk of overheating.
Disciplines (formerly skill trees)
The following entries are the Powertech skill disciplines
- Launching into the fray with a jetpack-propelled attack and able to withstand powerful offenses, the Powertech trained in the Shield Tech specification takes the brunt of the assault while employing a wise range of tech-based attacks to scorch and trip up even the most formidable adversaries.
Medium to Close Range (10 meter to 4 meter) Tank. Utilizes pulls, heavy slows, roots, and leaps to harass targets.
- Burst Damage: Minor
- Damage Over Time: Minor
- Mobility: Medium to High
- Defenses: Excellent
- Utility: High
- When stalking dangerous prey, a selection of powerful, high-tech armaments can be a hunter's best friend. The Advanced Prototype Powertech's thermal detonators, gauntlet blades and magnetized bracers devastate their intended target while ensuring the Powertech remains on the edge of any engagement.
Medium to Close Range (10m - 4m) DPS. Utilizes pulls, slows with minor DoT, repeatable burst-on-proc mechanic, with passive defenses that build up when struck.
- Burst Damage: Medium to High
- Damage Over Time: Minor to Medium
- Mobility: Medium to High
- Defenses: Above Average
- Utility: Medium
- Need a light? The Pyrotech-style Powertech adds fuel to any firefight with an abundance of vivid, searing flame attacks. From fistfuls of fire to missiles loaded with highly combustible compounds, the Pyrotech's arsenal allows them to never back down while making sure their enemy burns out in a blaze of destruction.
Medium to close Range (10m - 4m) DPS. Utilizes pulls, heavy DoT application, COE flamethrowers with increased damage potency when other abilities are used prior, and other abilities to provide burst between cooldowns. Forgoes heavy defenses for increased damage capability.
- Burst Damage: Minor to Medium. Very Minor when rotation is interrupted.
- Damage Over Time: Medium to High.
- Mobility: Medium to High
- Defenses: Average
- Utility: Medium
The following utilities are available to all Powertech disciplines. The player earns utility points that may be invested in the tiers upon reaching levels 11, 19, 27, 35, 43, 51, and 60. There are 7 utility points as of patch 3.0. The utilities are divided into three tiers: Skillful, Masterful, and Heroic.
- Gyroscopic Alignment Jets: You vent 10 heat when stunned, immobilized, knocked down, or otherwise incapacitated.
- Pneumatic Boots: Increases movement speed by 15%.
- Reflective Armor: When Close and Personal is triggered, it will also deal X to Y (varies depending on level and gear) damage to the attacker if the attacker is within 10 meters.
- Supressive Tools: Magnetic Blast, Flame Burst, and Flame Sweep reduce the movement speed of affected targets by 50% for 6 seconds.
- Bracer Propellant: Increases the range of Flame Burst and Magnetic Blast by 5 meters and the radius of Flame Sweep by 2 meters.
- Engulfing Flames: Increases the damage of Flame Sweep by 25%
- Iron Will: Reduces the cooldown of Determination by 30 seconds and the cooldown of Hydraullic Overrides by 5 seconds.
Masterful - three points must be invested in skillful to progress to this tier
- No Escape: Grapple immobilizes the target for 3 seconds. In addition, the cooldown of Stealth Scan is reduced by 5 seconds, and any targets it reveals are immobilized for 3 seconds.
- Pyro Shield: When activated, your Energy Shield ignites into a blaze, lashing attackers for X to Y (varies depending on level and gear) elemental damage while it remains active. This effect cannot occur more than once each second.
- Torque Boosters: Increases the duration of Hydraulic Overrides by 4 seconds.
- Accelerated Reel: Reduces the cooldown of Grapple by 15 seconds.
- Sonic Rebounder: Sonic Missile protects all friendly targets in its area of impact, excluding you, granting Sonic Rebounder, which reflects the next direct, single-target attack back to the attacker.
- Prototype Electro Surge: Reduces the cooldown of Electro Dart by 10 seconds.
- Hitman: Reduces the cooldown of Quell by 2 seconds.
Heroic - five points must be invested in utilities to progress to this tier
- Shield Cannon: Damaging a target with your Shoulder Cannon missiles heals you for 5% of your total health.
- Enhanced Paralytics: Increases the stun durations of Electro Dart and Carbonize by 1 second each.
- Fuel Additives: Explosive Fuel increases damage done by 5% while in Ion Gas Cylinder (Shield Tech) is active and increases damage reduction by 5% while Ion Gas Cylinder is not active.
- Overdrive: Hydraulic Overrides increases movement speed by an additional 45% while active.
- Efficient Suit: Increases the range of Grapple and Shoulder Cannon by 10 meters and eliminates the heat generated by Electro Dart and Carbonize.
- Liquid Cooling: When Thermal Sensor Override is activated, it vents 10 heat over the next five seconds and immediately increases threat toward all current enemies by a small amount if Ion Gas Cylinder is active, or reduces threat towards all current enemies if Ion Gas Cylinder is not active.
- Automated Suit: Allows Kolto Overload to be activated while stunned and causes Kolto Overload to purge stun effects when activated. This will not work against other types of incapacitating effects or scripted stuns. (Which typically occur in boss fights or by other NPCs).