- "Troopers are the Republic's finest soldiers, well-equipped and trained for battle, engaging in ground fights with heavy blaster rifles and a versatile array of ammunition
Primary Attribute: Aim. Aim increases the damage and critical chances of the Trooper's Ranged and Tech powers. This remains so for both the Commando and the Vanguard Advanced Classes, while the Commando's Aim additionally increases the effectiveness of healing powers. Advanced Classes (Available at level 10): Commando and Vanguard
Commando (Damage, Healing): Commandos blast down their targets from a distance, attacking with abilities like Explosive Round, Full Auto and Sticky Grenade. Commandos carry destructive assault cannons, but they can also support their squad as healers if trained as a Combat Medic
Vanguard (Damage, Defense): Vanguards are the Republic's frontline. Vanguards can draw targets in with a Harpoon and devastate groups of enemies at close range with a Pulse Cannon and a variety of Surges. Vanguards can train for inclement conditions and wear the finest armor, making them durable defensive soldiers when deployed as Shield Specialists."
- ―In-game Codex (Game Rules)
Honor, Duty, Defense of the Republic
Not all heroes carry Lightsabers. Some just have the will to fight.
For decades, the armed forces of the Galactic Republic defended their civilization against the seemingly unstoppable Sith Empire. Despite countless setbacks, the men and women of the Republic military never backed down until the Senate ordered them to do so. These brave souls remain ready and willing to lay their lives on the line today.
In the wake of the Treaty of Coruscant, the Republic military has begun recruiting from within its own ranks, creating cutting-edge Special Forces squads for the inevitable day when the war with the Sith Empire begins anew. These advanced strike teams are comprised of only the most talented and disciplined soldiers - a new breed of elite Republic troopers.
These troopers are the embodiment of the Republic military's highest aspirations - the most advanced fighting force in the galaxy. They are equipped to face any foe in any environment, but it's not their gear that makes them tough - it's their guts. The Republic trooper' greatest weapons are their indomitable spirit, their unwavering sense of duty and their undying loyalty to each other and to the ideals that the Republic represents. In this age, the stakes have never been higher. The Republic must win or face extinction. The fate of the galaxy rests upon ordinary men becoming extraordinary heroes. This is the path of the Republic trooper.
Relations with the Jedi
The Knights of the Jedi Order have defended the Republic for generations, but they have not fought alone. A host of unsung heroes have marched at the Jedi's side - common men courageous enough to enlist and face the same risks as their Jedi comrades despite not having access to the Jedi powers of protection. These heroes have not gone unappreciated by the Jedi. The men and women of the Republic military are accorded complete respect and admiration by the Order and by the Republic's political leaders.
In the years since the Treaty of Coruscant, the Jedi have withdrawn in significant numbers to their homeworld of Tython. Their presence in the Republic military, though still significant, is not what it was during the war. In many ways, the Republic's newly-trained elite troopers have stepped up to take charge of the Republic's defenses. When Republic troopers are partnered with the Jedi, they are a force to be reckoned with on any battlefield.
Deployed to the hairiest battlefields in the galaxy, Republic troopers generally travel in small, specialized squads. However, it is not uncommon, to see a Republic trooper engaging enemies on his or her own. Whether operating solo or in groups, members of the Republic Special Forces have become intimidating opponents to their enemies.
The Republic's experiments with a new generation of heavy blaster rifles have proven successful, sparking a galaxy-wide trend towards larger, more powerful and more versatile armaments. It takes a great deal of strength and training, however, to wield these war machines, so they’re rarely used outside the military. Republic engineers have also worked overtime fashioning new defensive gear for the Republic's most elite soldiers, armor suits that provide maximum protection and flexibility in multiple environments.
Whether fighting as part of a small strike squad or at the forefront of a larger force, the Republic trooper can unleash unrivaled firepower against his enemies. A Republic trooper's rifle is his best friend, and the military is constantly challenged to design faster, more powerful and more reliable blaster rifles every year. Wielding such rifles and wearing protective battle armor designed by the Republic's top engineers, the trooper will not hesitate to step right into the crossfire. Whether storming a base or a battlefield, the Trooper charges into the fight, blaster-rifle blazing, to clear a path for freedom and justice.
Though the Republic trooper's tactical strengths tend to rely on ranged technology and superior firepower, standard training involves lengthy exercises in close-quarters combat. A slam to the face from a cortosis-reinforced rifle stock is a very effective melee maneuver.
In addition to the arsenal of attacks available to the Republic trooper using his rifle, standard trooper equipment often includes a number of sticky grenades. Nearly impossible to remove, these explosives unerringly dispose of the target and anyone standing nearby. Taking full advantage of the modern rifle's versatile attachments, the Republic trooper can launch a high-powered grenade that explodes on impact, incapacitating a single target.
- "Sole survivor of brutal treason, highly trained soldier <name> rose to take command of the Republic's most elite Special Forces unit: Havoc Squad. When war with the Sith Empire broke out in earnest, <name> conducted critical operations to break the enemy advance, culminating in the defeat of the Empire's greatest general. But changing circumstances have led Havoc Squad's commander to join with former adversaries to defeat a new enemy that threatens to destroy them all...."
- ―In-game Codex (Persons of Note)
These species are available to the Trooper:
- Commando troopers are the warriors of the battlefield and focus more on offense than defense, using brute force to overwhelm enemies. Commandos are able to take out a vast number of enemies with heavy concussive blasts from their Assault Cannons.
- Vanguards go out on the battlefield with heavy armor, able to charge through extreme blaster fire and hostile environments. Their aggressive frontal assault tactics make it hard for most enemies to predict what their next attack is going to be, or where it's coming from.
Below is a table that shows the companions available to the Republic trooper (playable class) and what gifts they like. "XXX" denotes a favorite gift (major rewards). "XX" denotes a lovable gift (medium reward). "X" denotes a likable gift (minor rewards). "O" denotes no likability (no reward).
Order of companions:
- Aric Jorgan — acquired on Ord Mantell
- C2-N2 — acquired on Coruscant
- Elara Dorne — acquired on Taris
- M1-4X — acquired on Nar Shaddaa
- Tanno Vik — acquired on Balmorra
- Yuun — acquired on Hoth
|Gifts||Aric Jorgan||C2-N2||Elara Dorne||M1-4X||Tanno Vik||Yuun***|
*(Only after a point in companion story with male Republic trooper (playable class). Otherwise "O".)
**(Only after a point in companion story with female Republic trooper (playable class). Otherwise "O".)
***(Yuun is the only companion that does not gain moderate affection with any gift(XX).)
The Republic trooper uses various heavy weapons ranging from laser rifles to two-handed heavy cannons. The Republic troopers focus on heavy blaster rifles and a range of grenades and quick melee attacks. The resource for their abilities is Energy Cells which recharges at a rate based off how much ammo is currently in your weapon (3/4 ammo recharges 75% speed, half =50% speed, etc) and can be quickly recharged with the ability Fast Reload. Your energy cells regenerate faster at higher energy levels. As your energy cells deplete, so does the rate at which they regenerate. To maintain a high level of energy cells, use Hammer Shot regularly to allow your energy cells to regenerate
The Republic trooper can be specialized to deal substantial DPS (Damage Per Second), but can also serve as a group's primary tank due to their armor and large amount of health. They can also act as main healers through the Commando's Combat Medic tree.
The Republic trooper's main stats are Aim and Endurance. Aim increases the ranged damage of the trooper, and Endurance increases the trooper's hit points.
- The male voice of the Republic trooper is provided by Brian Bloom, who voiced Varric Tethras, companion and narrator of BioWare's Dragon Age II.
- The female is portrayed by prolific voice actress Jennifer Hale, who has provided her voice to many BioWare and Star Wars characters. Among her works Hale has notably voiced Bastila Shan of Knights of the Old Republic and the female Commander Shepard in BioWare's Mass Effect.
- The design of the Republic trooper armor is similar to the armor used by the Grand Army of the Republic during the Clone Wars era. This implies that some of the clone trooper's armor could have been based on that design, once the Galactic Republic became affiliated with Kamino.
- Trooper on the Star Wars: The Old Republic Holonet
- Republic trooper on Wookieepedia
- Meteor (Havoc Squad) on Wookieepedia